Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Duh

I just want to provide a forewarning that this is one of those posts likely to elicit a “Duh” or “Ya think?” reaction. But I have to go there because I am so filled with awe at this moment and need to share, and the only adults around are Arturo and Aurora with whom I can communicate only through charades. And how would I communicate through gestures how amazed I am that such a thing as the internet exists? (Thanks Al Gore - haha :-))

Since pretty much the day I arrived in Mexico City with Asha, I have felt connected to everyone back home because our internet has been set up, and as a result, we have been able to email and to use our Vonage phone service and make free calls to the US. In fact we even get telemarketing calls from charities and non-profits groups for donations. (I must admit that it has been kind of a hoot to freak them out by saying that they have called us in Mexico, resulting in them pausing for a minute to make sure their call wasn’t an international one!)

But aside from the everyday emails, online shopping and typical web surfing, I have recently discovered so much more to the internet through the world of blogging. The fact that I am so amazed by blogs is clear evidence that I am so not a techie (some – like my brother – may even say that I am technologically challenged), and I hope that no one is picturing me as a recluse who spends every spare minute online. Although, come to think of it, I do have my computer on a lot . . . hmmm.

Anyway, it has been really cool to find blogs written by Americans and Canadians (among others) who are living in Rome and Ishcia and Paris and Mexico City and Oaxa and New Jersey, and to have a little taste of what it is like to live in those places. So while I am learning and enjoying a new life in Mexico City, I am also able to experience – for a few minutes a day – what life is like in a million other places in the world. Pretty cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why do you laugh when you thank Al Gore? You know the internet was his "pet project" in the senate, just like Ted Steven's was the "bridge to nowhere" in Alaska. It was the Republican National Committee that changed his words to "invented". So next time you use the internet, make sure you thank Al Gore!